3 Jun 2008

Pink roots

Yesterday I peeled my first beetroot.
Today, I probably am the biggest fan of peeling them.

Long ago, days when my lunches were packed into boxes and opened under shady trees ,beetroot was the only vegetable I studied mentally for a period worth mentioning . It made my rice Pink, the magical colour ever. But, me not being a great fan of the taste , other childhood fantasies took over pushing my dear friend into a dark, forgotten tunnel of time as I sped merrily..obliviously.. into childhood..early teens..late ones and adulthood till there was a stilling lightning inside the tunnel, the same moment I had carelessly picked up the most boring looking object barely glancing at wht looked like a ball of sand...and peeled it.

It was an unbelievable brilliance under the drab brown blanket. It was royalty. The kind that is owned by the family of Pink.

7 comments:

in.cube.us said...

lips tongue everything gets pink...mom says its good for blood.

Subalekha Udayasankar said...

mu... chidambaram under the tree days... the sole aim was the find a spot that a crow wudn't hopefully choose... :)

beet for some reason is more red than pink to me... may b bcos i was forced to eat lots of if wen my RBC got too low.. but cant beat thayirsatham n beet combo!!

Aparna said...

blood..din knw tht

Aparna said...

cdm..those were the days mu..but we were opposite teams then;)
yea itz nt d pink pink..its burgundy..so rich..such a contrast 2 d skin

Aparna said...

n thayirsaadam beet...d combo evr..bak thn!!

Subalekha Udayasankar said...

ya i was in rinta's team... :)

Ram said...

Yep.. as said beetroot seems to be most of them's lunch during school days :-) Going back to school days.
Guess u to as ur frien lekha said:-)Keep posting more as there seem to be a long break ...

Good day!
Ram